Mr W James White
FRCS(Tr&Orth), MBBS, BSc(Hons)
Consultant Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon
James is a Consultant Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon, practising at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, 25 Harley Street, The Lister Hospital Chelsea and HCA Chiswick Outpatient Clinic. His practice encompasses all aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery including arthroscopy, arthroplasty and trauma. He has a reputation as a thorough clinician, effective communicator and skilled surgeon. Through joint decision-making with the patient and utilising non-operative techniques where possible, he achieves the best possible outcomes for patients. When surgery is required, James has excellent outcomes based on his precise and prepared approach to operating.
Arthroscopic Shoulder and Elbow surgery: instability, rotator cuff tears, tendon injuries, frozen shoulder, soft tissue reconstruction and arthritis.
Arthroplasty: shoulder replacement surgery (hemiarthoplasty, total shoulder – stemmed/short-stemmed/stemless, and reverse) and Elbow total and hemi-replacement. He utilises modern 3D planning techniques to ensure accurate implant placement.
Trauma: significant experience in complex reconstruction of shoulder and elbow bony and soft tissue trauma including arthroplasty
- Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon at one of London’s leading teaching hospital Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (GSTT)
- James has a tertiary referral practice at GSTT for shoulder and elbow surgery trauma and elective problems, including the surgical reconstruction of complex shoulder and elbow injuries
- His high volume young adult/sports shoulder and elbow practice adds to his complete shoulder and elbow service.
- Co-lead of the Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship programme at GSTT, responsible for training fully qualified orthopaedic surgeons to become shoulder and elbow surgeons.
- James studied Medicine at University College Medical School (UCL) and gained a higher surgical education in Trauma and Orthopaedics on the highly competitive Northwest London Programme.
- As Upper limb fellow at GSTT for one year he gained significant experience in complex upper limb trauma and a highly respected sports upper limb practice including shoulder and elbow arthroscopic procedures.
- He completed a further year fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow surgery, at the world renowned Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre in Exeter, gaining from a high volume tertiary centre interest in shoulder and elbow arthroplasty, both primary and revision.
- FRCS(Tr&Orth), MBBS, BSc(Hons)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support: Instructor
Royal College of Surgeons, England, 2016
- Advanced Certificate in Clinical Education
Royal College of surgeons, Glasgow, 2018
- James is well-published in peer-review journals on Shoulder and Elbow surgery and pathology, and has co-authored several book chapters. He continues to present at national and international conferences.
- James’ Research prizes include; The Lipmann Kessel prize, for his research in trauma, a Doctors Advancing Patients Safety (DAPS) Global Award Prize, and nomination for the ‘Best of the Best’ prize at the British Orthopaedic Association
- He is co-author of Trauma National Guidelines: Blue Book on the Management of Distal Radius Fractures published by British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- James is the Junior Doctor Lead for training orthopaedic surgeons that rotate through GSTT. He regularly teaches on orthopaedic courses on topics ranging from basic science, adult shoulder and elbow reconstruction and sports upper limb surgery.